Amazon Route 53 is a very highly available and scalable cloud Domain Name System(DNS) web service which is specifically designed to provide developers and business owners a very reliable and cost-efficient way to route end users to the Web Applications.
Amazon Route 53 performs three main functions:
- Domain registration
- DNS service
- Health checking
Domain Registration: Amazon Route 53 lets us register domain names, such as ‘www.example.com’.
DNS Service: Amazon Route 53 translates the domain names like above into IP addresses like ‘192.0.2.1’. It responds to DNS queries using a global network of authorative DNS servers which helps in reducing latency.
Health Checking: Amazon Route 53 sends requests automatically over internet to our application to verify if it is reachable, available, and functional.
Routing Policies available on Amazon Route 53 are as follows:
- Simple Routing — If we choose the simple routing policy we can only have one record with multiple IP addresses. If we specify multiple values in a record, Route 53 returns all values to the user in a random order.
- Weighted Routing — It allows us to split our traffic based on different weights assigned. For example, we can set 10% of our traffic to go to US-EAST-1 and 90% to go to EU-WEST-1.
- Latency-based Routing — It allows us to route our trafffic based on the lowest network latency for our end-user i.e. which region will provide them the fastest response time.
- Failover Routing — It is used when we want to create an active/passive setup. For example, we may want our primary site to be in EU-WEST-2 and our secondary DR Site in AP-SOUTHEAST-2.
- Geolocation Routing — It lets us choose where our traffic will be sent based on the geographic locations of our users i.e. the location from which the DNS queries originate.
- Geoproximity Routing(Traffic Flow Only) — It lets Amazon Route 53 route traffic to our resources based on the geographic location of our users and our resources.
- Multivalue Answer Routing — It lets us configure Amazon Route 53 to return multiple values, such as IP addresses for our web servers, in response to DNS queries.
Benefits of using Amazon Route 53
- Highly available and reliable
- Designed to use with other Amazon Web Services
- Simplify the hybrid cloud
Companies using Amazon Route 53